In 1989, Sylla began the Atlantic Institute to further the quality of aromatherapy education and training. Since then, she's become recognized as one of the pillars of our field and cultivated a rich intellectual legacy. Over the past few years her daughter, Nyssa Hanger, has come on board to continue the Atlantic Institute's mission.
Mission and Vision
Our mission is to further the education standards in all aspects of Aromatherapy, by providing a comprehensive resource for the professional or layperson interested in this fast-growing holistic therapy.
We envision a world where active aromatherapy practitioners feel supported in expanding their knowledge on safe and effective use of essential oils.
What We've Achieved
- We are the oldest aromatherapy school continually run by a practicing aromatherapist. Our founder has 35 years of client-based experience, and our instructors have over 100 years combined experience in the field of aromatherapy.
- We have been continually teaching classes in aromatherapy since 1985 and have international students.
- We have global recognition; we have given papers at conferences in Canada, France, New Zealand, Australia, and across the USA.
- Our founder initiated the Safety Committee for the National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy and held the position of Chair of the Safety Committee for 14 years, producing many safety papers, some of which we still have on this site.
- Our director was a founding member of the American Aromatherapy Association, and the "Purdue Initiative" that ultimately lead to the formation of the ARC (Aromatherapy Registration Council) exam leading to the title Registered Aromatherapist, RA - the only credential in our field for legitimate aromatherapists which will eventually lead to the Certification process (which is not in place now).
- After September 11, 2001, we formed the United Aromatherapy Effort, Inc. a 501c(3) non-profit organization that collected and disseminated aromatherapy products to first responders after disasters. The UAE ran for 10 years and served in relief efforts in NY after 9/11, in Mississippi after hurricanes Katrina and Gustav, and finally served by sending aromatherapy products to deployed soldiers at Camp Phoenix in Kabul, Afghanistan. Our organization received a flag flown in our honor.
- We have produced numerous research papers and projects; we have been published in major journals and have produced several widely quoted papers.
- We are the only aromatherapy institute to work directly with experts in the allied fields of herbology, psychology, essential oil chemistry, and structural bodywork. We have a collaborative history with Martin Watt, Dr. Trevor Stokes, Dr. Robert Pappas, Tony Burfield, Michael Kirk-Smith, and Don McCann.
- We have researched, written, and published The Aromatherapy Practitioner Reference Manual, The Aromatherapy Practitioner Correspondence Course, The Aromatic Spa Book, The Aromatic Mind Book, and The Chemistry Flip Book and developed and produced the exclusive Essential Oil Constituents Chemistry Kit.
- In addition we edited and first published Plant Aromatics (M. Watt) in the USA and edited and published Natural Aromatic Materials - Odours and Origins (T. Burfield, out of print).
- We are the only aromatherapy institute, school, or organization that is actively collecting safety data reports on adverse effects of essential oils and sharing the results with the aromatherapy community to show what is really happening in terms of overuse of essential oils resulting in injury.