This is a detailed course for self-study in Aromatherapy with over 500 fully-referenced pages of text. It is designed to be taken at the student's own pace over a period of three to six months. Although geared toward professional medical health care providers (health care practitioners, doctors, chiropractors, estheticians, nurses, massage therapists, etc.), the course is easily assimilated by business owners, student beginners or the layperson who simply desires a better quality of life by using nature's fragrances. This course is considered the most well-referenced, wide-ranging, comprehensive, and detailed course available, and stands alone in the marketplace.
The majority of course materials is based on current scientific research, and is very highly referenced throughout. Current theories in aromatherapy teaching are also explored.
A Certificate Diploma from The Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy listing all subjects covered and the 200 hours of study will be presented upon successful completion of the write-in exam, essays, and/or case studies and research paper. In this respect, “certification” refers to “meeting the educational requirements to complete a course of study” and in no way implies license to diagnose, prescribe, or treat. Students will NOT be ‘licensed’ to do anything, as aromatherapy is not licensed yet in any state or on a national level. In other words, students can practice aromatherapy under current licenses (i.e., massage, esthetic, medical, etc.) according to individual state laws. In addition, students will have adequate training to add aromatherapy treatments in a safe and efficacious manner.
This course with Practitioner Module (100 hours) exceeds the suggested educational guidelines of the National Association of Holistic Aromatherapists. Therapists and students will qualify to sit for the upcoming Aromatherapy Registry Council national exam and become a Registered Aromatherapist.
- The nature of aromatherapy; types practiced, educational resources available.
- Tools: Essential oils – the commodity; production processes, quality, purity and adulteration. Available essential oils, buying guidelines, types available on today’s market.
- Chemistry: Essential oil chemistry – terpene biosynthesis, oil components.
- Therapeutics: The major properties of essential oils in human physiology with references (8 pages of scientific references)
- Physical Effects: Effect of essential oils on human physiology – pharmacology, body systems effects, specific uses for individual essential oils
- Mental effects: Effect of essential oils on the human brain – psycho aromatherapy – function of odor, brain and olfaction, the limbic link to memory, mood and emotion.
- Treatment methods and applications: Internal & external in the form of: massage, (skincare, hair and nails) with water in baths (compress, salts, spray, body wrap), inhalation (micro-diffusion).
- Blending and perfumery: Principles of perfumery along with blending basics and how to
- Safety: Irritation, sensitization, phototoxicity, contraindications, detailed safety data and toxicity studies.
- Appendix including several articles, Common name index, Taxonomic Index, Gras list of EO, Glossary, Untested oil Index.
The course is provided in a three-ring binder, and is divided into study sections. A chapter summary and practice questions are included at the end of each section. A one-hundred question exam must be completed, and ten short essays are to be returned to the Institute for grading and to earn a diploma.
This course includes 31 sample vials of essential oils and materials to complete the worksheets. There are also product formulations, many tables, charts, references, and sufficient resources to enable the student to begin successfully and, more importantly, safely exploring the world of essential oils and aromatherapy. Price: $895.00
Practitioner Package Module: separate additional package which will detail business ethics, setting up a practice and clinic, consultations, etc. Practitioners must submit a publishable research paper and ten case histories in addition. Discussion with Course Directors by phone or fax is highly advised and encouraged. Students will be expected to be self-directed and research from other sources not included with the course. This module adds another 100 hours of study making the total with the course 300 hours. Price Add On: $1195.00
This module can be added on later for those who wish to start with the Course alone. All students in APT Program will also start here with this course. Both the course and course with Practitioner Module are available with the text manual or separate. (Separate$255.00)
Options can include the Aromatherapy Practitioner Reference Manual
Course with Manual $995.00 (save $25)
Course with Practitioner Module: $1150.00 (save $50)
Course, Practitioner Module and manual $1250 (save $75)
This course is non-refundable due to copyright (student will sign a non-disclosure agreement before the course material can be sent that reflects this). We offer replacement for goods damaged in transit only. If you are unsure, please contact us to be sure the course is a good fit for you.