We are continuing our "Top 10 Worst Injuries from Essential Oils" from the past year of collecting injury reports. These we have listed are the top 5 worst cases from our upcoming report, due out in February 2015. This is Part 2 of a two-part series.
Here are 5 examples of direct quotes (excuse grammar) from our new Injury Report, scheduled to come out in February 2015.
Stop the unsafe use of essential oils! Save yourself, your friends and family, babies, and animals. Stop the insanity.
Here are summaries with quoted text directly from the testimonials we received. We are not identifying any companies in this blog. You will be able to see the details of each entry we received when the report comes out. Most all of these were due to bad advice from misinformation.
5. Diluted blend to a baby's feet slows breathing. "blends X & XX were used on separate occasions on my son at 13mo. The blend was very diluted (topical on his feet), he was 13mo, and I was informed it was 'safe'. His throat started closing on him and his breathing slowed to a very dangerous level. After further research, I found out they both contained eucalyptus & Rosemary, both unsafe for kids under six. We had applied it & diffused it around him before his reaction, so it wasn't his first exposure to it. Very scary holding your child while they are helpless."
Please help us prevent well-meaning moms from harming their babies. We recently published a journal article in the International Journal of Childbirth Education on safety when using aromatherapy in pregnancy, childbirth, and childcare. We have a free download available with the essential safety information in that paper.
4. Multiple topical undiluted and oral use causes rashes. "It took months to accumulate in my system, but once the rashes started, I could no longer use any oils without the rash coming back. I was told by XX Reps that I was detoxing and that I should use more oils. I was told to try different oils for the rash. I was told to take sulfur. I was told that it's impossible to be allergic to the oils. I was told that I must have a defective gene which is causing the rash."
Please don't buy this and other myths. The essential oil chemistry expert Dr. Robert Pappas recently addressed this myth last January on his Facebook page for Essential Oil University. He's got a lot of great things on this page, so check it out.
3. Vaginal yeast infection leads to permanent scarring. "Was advised by a consultant to soak a tampon in tea tree oil, insert it before bed, wear it overnight and by the morning my yeast infection would be cleared up. Before bed that evening I put 5 drops of Tea Tree Oil on the tip of a tampon (I was worried about soaking the tampon as she instructed & using too much), I inserted the tampon and soon noticed a warm sensation. I called the representative as she told me it was normal and how I knew it was working. I went to bed and woke up about 6-7 hours later feeling like napalm had been poured into my vagina. I could not remove the tampon myself the pain was so bad. A neighbor drove me to the nearest hospital; They removed the tampon immediately and treated me for chemical burns with a prescription of burn jelly to continue using for the next 10 days, and more antibiotics to prevent the burn from becoming infected. At the 30 days check the tissue had scabbed over & partially healed. The 60 day exam the scabs were all gone but he noted I may have scars remaining and at the 90 day exam he told me scarring was present and would likely not completely heal."
OUCH is all we can say!
2. Undiluted blend to 6-month-old's chest resulted in 2 febrile seizures. "...Fever was only 99 and stopped breathing, foamed at the mouth; after 10 min violent seizing, turned purple and stopped breathing. Companies need to start warning about the seizure effects with wintergreen, eucalyptus, fennel, etc! My son doesn't have epilepsy or any medical conditions. Once I removed his shirt and washed his skin at the hospital 45 min later he stopped seizing and returned to normal."
Very scary and hard to imagine going through this with a baby. If you haven't checked out our free safety sheet download yet, this is just one more reason to make sure you become educated about safe use of essential oils.
1. Ingested "Morphine Bomb." "protocol was to use 4 drops each of frankincense, copaiba, and balsam fir. They advertised it could be used via inhalation, on skin or ingested. I trusted this combination would [alleviate] my pain due to their claims. Within a few hours of ingesting the oils, I began having racing heart, shortness of breath, pressure in my chest that radiated to my back, up my left jaw, and down my left arm. The symptoms continued and I eventually experienced cold sweats and nausea. The symptoms did not go away. I went to Hospital, they gave me an EKG, blood work and a CAT Scan. They determined I was having a heart attack. I remained hospitalized for 3 days and underwent a heart catheterization."
We were downright shocked by some of these cases. They're getting worse, and, the saddest part is, they're totally avoidable.
We have to stop this from happening. You can help.
Share essential oil safety information with your friends! You never know who has been fed incorrect or incomplete information. There are a lot of voices of reason in this situation--make sure you're listening to them!
We also partner with Upward Spiral Center to provide FREE safety classes to the local community in Tampa Bay, and we regularly post blogs on safe essential oil use. The next class is on February 18. We urge others to host SAFE Use Classes too! Use our fact sheet, spread the word!
We released our Annual Safety Report in February 2015, which features cases like these.
See this REPORT 2015 here.